|11/30/2018 1:19:00 PM|
Voting: Let's Get to Work
OK Ms. and/or Mr. Politician. You won the election; good for you. Now let's get to work and fix our broken voting system. Our goal should be to develop a simple and fair process that encourages everyone to vote.
1. Start by adopting Colorado's mail in voting process. It is about 5 years old and seems to work well for the eligible citizens of CO. We do not need to "reinvent the wheel" by creating our own process. Some other states' (e.g. Oregon & Washington) mail-in procedures may also be considered.
2. Make voter registration easy with minimal paperwork. Registration should be automatic on a person's 18th birthday.
3. It is time to get rid of gerrymandering done by political parties. A simple computer algorithm can be used to draw the district boundaries. This would be fair for voters, and for the politicians trying to represent their districts.
4. Abolish the electoral college and replace it with a fair popular vote (simple one person-one vote) process. People may then believe that their single vote does count.
5. Consider making voting mandatory. It works in 22 other countries. Perhaps the government could give voters a $100 tax credit for voting!
In the current 2018 mid-term election, with all the media hoopla, only about half of the eligible voters bothered to cast a ballot. That is totally unacceptable in a democracy! Let's move our voting process forward and retire ineffective procedures of the past.
Article Comment Submission Form