|8/26/2019 11:13:00 AM|
Dodgeville City Council approves multiple purchases
|At Tuesday's Dodgeville City Council meeting, there were multiple property purchases that were approved.|
Mayor Todd Novak announced the city has reached an agreement with Karen Trumpy who has purchased multiple properties that were in poor conditions. The city found it best to clean up the property by purchasing it all together, which was less expensive than condemning it.
An offer was made by the city for $233,000 which was accepted by Trumpy. The property is located at 205 Chapel Street, 209 Chapel Street, 209 North Union Street, 211 North Union Street, 213 North Union Street. The properties listed above are across the corner from Jeffrey's and Inkwell Printers.
Another property in question was 310 North Street which is often called "The Old Hotel."
Since all locations are occupied by renters, the city will file a relocation plan with the State Department of Administration, and will contract with Dale Klemme, Community Development Alternatives, Prairie Du Chein to put a plan in place. The city must help relocate all of the renters.
Once the property is vacant, a plan is set to tear it down. It is yet to be determined what will happen with the property once the lots are vacant. The city states that they will not be using tax dollars for the purchase and cost of relocation. This will come out of the Land's End TIF that closed two years ago.
Council members approved the purchase of these properties. They also approved services to perform building acquisition services for the city.
Dodgeville Public Library Director Vickie Stangel stated that the 2020 census is going to be online, and the American Library Association has agreed that public libraries will help the government with the census by providing access to the internet.
The Iowa County public libraries are working together to provide information about the census and provides and informs residents about part time jobs starting at $15 an hour and 58 cents a mile.
Dodgeville Library will have a census representative at the library to answer questions and to fill out the application each Thursday from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. starting as of August 22, 2019.
Stangel pointed out that the 2020 census is extremely important to each municipality.
In 2010 88.4% of Iowa County households, filled out the census by themselves, the other 11.6% were reached by census workers.
"We realized that in Iowa County, we do have areas that online is difficult," Stangel said. "And we have individuals that online like it's difficult. All public libraries have WiFi internet access, so that's why libraries have been called upon."
City of Dodgeville Economic Development Specialist Steve Genoway announced that John Dunbar and MHTC. would like the city to look into applying for the telecommute forward and broadband forward certifications.
Genoway, Dodgeville Administrator Jeff Jacobson and Iowa County Educator Barry Hottman also been conversing about youth and governance opportunities for the city of Dodgeville for the county and otherwise. Hottmann presented an impact study with programs that has been successful throughout the state.
"It's important to get the youth involved and make them feeling like their voice is heard and a part of things that are going on," Hottmann said.
Hottmann also added that DodgeFest was a great success, and thanked the council for providing the picnic tables.
"Anytime you can bring over 1,500 people in a location is great," Hottmann said. "Thank you for your support because it takes the support of elected officials like yourselves in order to make these things happen."
Mayor Todd Novak said that it was a great crowd and heard many great things.
In other city council business:
-Council members approved a new two year operator's license for Jerald Fries (Ends June 30, 2021), a new one year operator's license for Ashley Ahrens (Ends June 30, 2020), and a new one year operator's license for MacKenzie Nichole Schambow (Ends June 30, 2020).
-Council members approved to consider a $700 donation to Dodgeville Area Chamber of Commerce for DodgeFest Policing services, which comes out of the city celebratory fund.
-Council members accepted the award for the 2019 CDBG for Public Facilities $1,000,000 Project Award for Spring Street Reconstruction.
Council members then moved into closed session to discuss EMS staffing.
Next regularly scheduled council meeting is Tuesday September 3, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
Article Comment Submission Form